Breaking News

The Adventurous Clown by Holy & Joly

The Adventurous Clown by Holy & Joly

The Adventurous Clown


There was once a clown called Tuffy, who lived in a toyshop with hundreds of other toys. Some of them were very grand toys who wouldn't even look at the little clown, with his painted face and pointed had. Some were not so grand and the clown would often talk with them.
Tuffy the clown longed to be a hero. He longed to do something grand, something noble so that all the toys in the toyshop would cheer him and cry out that he was a hero. He thought his little corner on a toyshelf was dull. Nothing ever happened there. How could he be a hero when nothing ever happened?

'Why do you grumble so?' asked Timothy, the puppy dog with boot-button eyes and a tail that really wagged. 'Be happy and contented with us, Tuffy. We are a nice little family here on this shelf. Why do you want to go off and have adventures? They might not be nice.

'Oh, yes, they would be,' said Tuffy.

'Adventures are always exciting. I want to do something really fine. Save someone from a fire grand toys sit up and take notice. It's so dull up here on our shelf. Why, we only get dusted once a week!

Can you read also: Puss in Boots

That night Tuffy the clown climbed down from his mind to seek adventures. There must be lost of them down in the stop. He

had heard all sorts of exciting noises at night. Surley grand things must hap-pen down in the shop!

Now that night there was to be a grand race between two wooden horse and carts, driven by wooden farmer. The race was just starting as Tuffy climbed down to the floor. Once cart came racing by Tuffy, the farmer standing up and yelling for all he was worth. 

Tuffy stood and gaped.

‘Goodness! An adventure already!' thought Tuffy. ‘ A runaway horse! Ha, now is my chance to be a hero!

The horse and cart came round again, and Tuffy sprang at the reins. He held on to them and dragged the horse to one side. The cart fell over with a crash, and the farmer tipped out. Tuffy stood by, helping him up, feeling very proud that he had stopped the horse.

But the farmer was terribly angry.

'What do you mean by spoiling my race like that!' he yelled. 'Now the other horse and cart will win! And look at my cart, all on its side! And I've spoilt my best hat, too! You silly, interfering little clown. Take that-and that!

'Ooh!' cried Tuffy, rushing away. 'You don't understand! I'm a hero!

He ran out of sight, and sat down in a toy farm, wiping the tears from his eyes. Horrid man! How dare he crack his whip at him like that when Tuffy had tried to be a hero?

As Tuffy sat there he noticed a doll's house in a corner of the shop-and, dear me, what was that coming out of one of the bedroom windows, in great curls? It was smoke!

'Fire, fire!' yelled Tuffy, jumping to his feet at once. 'Another adventure! Fire! I'll put it out at once!

He rushed to get a ladder leaning against a haystack. He put it up against the wall of the doll's house. Then he found a big bucket which he felled with water from the farm pond. Up the ladder he went, yelling: 'Fire, fire!

He threw all the water in at the window, and was just going to climb down for another bucket-ful, when someone caught him by the collar and roared:

'And what do you think you're doing, playing a silly trick like that!

Poor Tuffy was hauled in through the window and shaken like a rat.

'D-d-don't d-d-do that!' he panted. 'I'm a hero! I was p-p-p-putting out the f-f-f-fire!

Can you read also: What do you know about Pixie Pins?


'Fire! What fire?' said the angry voice, and Tuffy saw that he was speaking to a sailor doll who was smoking a large pipe.

'Can't I smoke my pipe without you coming and throwing water all over me? I'll teach you to throw water at people!

The sailor doll dragged poor Tuffy downstairs and held his head under the cold water tap till he was quite soaked. Then he let him go.

Tuffy staggered out into the shop, shaking the water from his head, and squeezing out his pointed hat.

The Adventurous Clown by Holy & Joly

'They w-w-w-won’t let me b-b-b-be a hero,' he sobbed. He walked off, angry and hurt, and sat down on a seat to dry. And as he sat there he heard a cry, and looked round. There was a big globe of water nearby, and in it were a big globe of water nearby, and in it were swimming two fine goldfish- and in the water was a small doll!

'She's fallen in!' shouted Tuffy, jumping up at once. 'I'll rescue her! This is a real adventure at last!

He caught hold of a little net which was used to catch the goldfish when they were sold. He clambered up on to a chair and dipped the net into the water. Soon he had caught the little doll and hauled her out – but she slipped out of the net and fell bump on to the table.

She banged her head and began to cry. Up came a policeman doll said, fiercely: 'What are you doing, catching that doll and making her bump her head like that?

Can you read also: Jack and the Beanstalk | Interactive


'I was saving her from drowning!' said Tuffy. 'I am a hero. You ought to cheer me!

'I was having such a lovely swim!' sobbed the little doll. 'Iam a swimming-doll, policeman, and I swim with the goldfish every night. But that horrid clown caught me in a nasty net, and I fell out of it and bumped my head. He isn't a hero. He's just a great, big, interfering NUISANCE!

'You'd better come along with me,' said the policeman, jerking the clown up with a hard hand. 'Now then- any wriggling and I'll give you a good shaking!

'I tell you, I'm a hero –' began the clown, struggling hard. The policeman shook him till all his teeth chattered and his hat fell off. Then off he was marched to prison.

The policeman locked him in a room in the police station and left him there. The clown sat down and put his head in his hands.

'Adventures are horrid,' he groaned, Being a hero is silly. If only I were back again on my nice, quiet shelf with Timothy Dog and the others.

Suddenly he heard a little noise outside the window of the room. 'Tuffy! Tuffy!' barked a little voice. 'It is I, Timothy. Here is the key to the door, coming in at the window!

Tinkle! The key fell to the floor and the clown quickly undid the door. He and Timothy ran off together and climbed up to the shelf. Tuffy hugged the kind little dog and thanked him very much.

'You're the hero!' he said. All the things I did were silly, not wonderful or noble. I didn't stop to think. But you saw I was in real trouble and saved me.

'Don't mention it,' said the toy dog, blushing.

'I don't want to be a hero, I'm sure.

'Oh, how lovely and peaceful it is up on this shelf,' said Tuffy, looking round happily. 'I never want to leave it again

And, until he was sold, he never did! 

Contact Us | Terms of Use - Privacy Policy | About Us